Crows

What they eat:

Crows will eat almost anything. Their eating habits will easily adapt to changing seasons and food supplies. Crows are part of a select group of birds that adapt easily to their environment and find creative ways to survive. About 30% of a crow’s diet consists of animal matter such as beetles, caterpillars, dead fish, frogs, snakes etc. The remaining 70% consists mainly of vegetable matter and plant matter. Such matter includes acorns, wild fruit and other nutritious vegetation.

Where they live:

Crows tend to live in a mix of open fields and woodlots. The fields are a great source of food and the trees in woodlots allow them to nest and roost. These areas are normally along streams, rivers, farmlands, orchards, parks or more suburban areas.

Nesting:

Female crows normally gather the necessary materials to build themselves nests. Sturdy, the nest normally takes about 10 days to build. The finished nests are normally about 19 inchs wide and cupped to accommodate eggs. These nests are normally found on the tops of evergreens, trees or mangroves depending on the bird’s location. Female crows tend to nest within 100 yards of each other.

Health concerns and damage related to crows:

Because of the variations in landscape across North America, the amount and degree of damage caused by crows is highly variable across time and space. Variables such as the season, the weather, the time of harvest, crop yields and availability of other foods such as insects greatly plays a role in determining the extent of the damage caused by crows.

Furthermore, crows are known to also consume the eggs and young of other birds during nesting season. Though they do not have important effects on the number of the affected birds, they can still reduce the populations of these birds.

 As well, large crops of crows have been known to help spread the certain diseases. They feed in and around farm buildings, where they have been implicated in the spread of transmissible gastroenteritis (TGE) among swine facilities or other diseases such as avian cholera.

Lockbird recommends the following deterrent strategy:

Pyrotechnics: The use of this audio bird deterrent solution will be sure to immediately scare away any pestering crows.

Lockbird T-300: This laser tower can come in handy when trying to consistently harass crows hanging around a specific area. The birds can get accustomed to most visual deterrents except lasers!

Netting: Wrapping highvalue crops or small areas can help exclude crows.